Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thank you, Mrs. Donovan!


I graduated from a small Christian school and let's just say, they didn't offer many electives. My senior year, the choice was between physics and typing. Many of you will not be surprised to learn that I did not have to think long and hard about that one. Neither did my mom. She had just helped my dad finish his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in the days of typewriters and word processors and she did NOT want to type anyone else's papers, period. She highly suggested that I take typing. I would've taken it anyway because with my dismal "C" that I had gotten in chemistry the year before, I knew physics would not help out my GPA at all. My typing teacher was soooo under appreciated. In a class with 10 girls and only 2 guys (I guess it was more manly at the time to take physics...) she did her best to make us typing fiends. It is a skill I take for granted almost every day. I'm not the speediest typist in the world, but I can do it with my eyes closed! Thank you, Mrs. Donovan. I'm not exactly sure what made me think of her today...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. I had keyboarding in 8th grade. Boy was my teacher strict, but I can type. I'm so amazed at all the hunt and peck method typers out there. I was just wondering when they teach kids to type these days. Do they have a class? I came of age just aroung the time Al Gore was perfecting the internet...so...I typed my first research paper on a typewriter--torture! Then my dad went to radio shack and bought a Tandy! It was kind of a glorified word processor--but man did it make my Jr. and Sr. year better! Hooray for typing teachers!

Cindy said...

I wonder about the same thing because Jake and Molly already "type" going to favorite websites etc. but they sure don't use asdfjkl;. I wondered if I should get a typing program for them but they seem so young!

hillenblogshappywife said...

Barrett is in 7th grade and is now learning typing, after having been in computers since kindergarten. He is one of the fast hunt and peck, and absolutely hates to type correctly. He is at about 28 words a minute I think. He has a friend who is at 70 tho. All this to say, maybe typing should be taught as they are learning the computer. Then they learn correctly from the beginning.just a thought.